Service Owner/Solutions Architect
Our software powers some of the largest ideas in Government, Commercial, and Non-Profit institutions in New Zealand, and our clients include Auckland Transport, Ministry of Education, Auckland Museum, Skinny, and NZ Post.
We are a technology partner, and believe continuous advances in technology allow us to utilise newer and better ways of solving problems for our clients and their users.
We question the status quo, and understand the need for constant evolution in the relentless pursuit of excellence. This drives our mission at Propellerhead.
Culture & Approach
We live and die by the quality of our team, and our company is made up of some of the brightest minds in New Zealand software development.
We believe great people shine when given the freedom to lead. Our approach is designed to produce maximum value by stepping out of the way and clearing roadblocks for our team. We take influence from Agile, Lean Startup, Design Thinking and Holacracy, and we build solutions in a series of small increments. Each iteration provides an opportunity for adaptation based on user behaviour and increasing insights.
Our team is full of problem-solvers who happen to code, and we put a premium on communication, collaboration, openness and flexibility.
Hiring in Europe
We’re actively hiring European developers and technical specialists who may want to move to here and join our teams. New Zealand is one of the safest and most beautiful countries in the world, and we offer an excellent work/life balance, interesting projects, and inspiring colleagues. We’re interviewing candidates in Europe in October 2018.
We are looking for a senior software developer with an emphasis on solution architecture design. You will bring technical vision and extensive experience to our team, helping us to continue producing software solutions in a Lean, Agile and evolutionary manner.
Your natural inclination towards decision making and designing with crystalline clarity enables you to design software-based solutions and you’ll be adept at pivoting from big picture strategy to design and technical implementation, as the project requires.
You'll set and advise on local or team-based standards for programming tools and techniques, including security and test automation guidelines, and the selection of appropriate development methods.
You will specify and design large or complex systems while providing advice, mentorship and assistance to less experienced colleagues.
As someone who asks the right question at the right time, we’ll depend on your judgement, opinion and insights to ensure that early delivery and continuous improvement is possible.
Far from being a theorist, you will be contributing to code on a day-to-day basis. You will relish being up with the play on emerging trends and be able to quickly prototype new ideas to judge their value.
Skills and Experience
- You will have had a minimum of 8 - 10 years development experience in multi-tier and distributed applications in Java or .NET. (If .NET, you will need to also demonstrate some Java experience).
- Hands-on experience with designing solutions targeting cloud platforms such as Azure or AWS, including active participation in building CI/CD pipelines.
- You will be sufficiently technology agnostic to be able to draw from the best components or programming languages to deliver an outcome
- You have software design experience for architecture with highly inter-dependent features, balancing flexibility and a manageable level of complexity
- You are regarded as a valued advisor to previous clients and colleagues, balancing technical excellence with commercial pragmatism
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and translate complex topics with clarity in different business circles, from a development team to a board of directors. This includes being able to present your designs using lightweight documentation and clear diagrams as well as providing verbal explanation.
- Experience achieving strategic objectives with lean product roadmaps
- Career evidence of getting things done: staying organised, building rapport, and following through on work while have others' best interests at heart
- Cutting-edge projects for some of New Zealand's brightest organisations
- Welcoming, friendly, equal opportunity workplace
- Very capable fellow team members
- A culture of openness, communication, collaboration and flexibility
- Beautifully designed, tranquil offices right in the heart of Auckland
Critically Important: Cover Letter
We receive and read many job applications every week, and one component we value very highly is your cover letter. We cannot progress your application without one. This is your chance to tell us more about who you are, what you value, and why you care about your work. Instead of bland and cliche-filled, we value authentic and personal. This will go towards getting you to the next stage.
In-Person Interview in Paris
We are holding in-person interviews in Paris in October 2018, and if your application is successful, we will require you to travel to Paris during that time to meet with us.
Moving to New Zealand
We’ve collated information about Propellerhead and moving to New Zealand here.
Learn more about our company here.