Our software powers some of the largest ideas in Government, Commercial, and Non-Profit institutions in New Zealand, and our clients include Auckland Transport, Ministry of Education, Auckland Museum, Skinny, and NZ Post.
We are a technology partner, and believe continuous advances in technology allow us to utilise newer and better ways of solving problems for our clients and their users.
We question the status quo, and understand the need for constant evolution in the relentless pursuit of excellence. This drives our mission at Propellerhead.
Culture And Approach
We live and die by the quality of our team, and our company is made up of some of the brightest minds in New Zealand software development.
We believe great people shine when given the freedom to lead. Our approach is designed to produce maximum value by stepping out of the way and clearing roadblocks for our team. We take influence from Agile, Lean Startup, Design Thinking and Holacracy, and we build solutions in a series of small increments. Each iteration provides an opportunity for adaptation based on user behaviour and increasing insights.
Our teams are full of problem-solvers who happen to use code, and we put a premium on communication, collaboration, openness, and flexibility.
Hiring in Europe
We’re actively hiring European developers and technical specialists who may want to move to here and join our teams. New Zealand is one of the safest and most beautiful countries in the world, and we offer an excellent work/life balance, interesting projects, and inspiring colleagues. We’re interviewing candidates in Europe in October 2018.
We are looking for an experienced DevOps-practicing engineer to join our optimisation team. Our optimisation team works alongside our core development teams to provision cloud-based environments and construct CI/CD pipelines. The team also supports the existing operations, with a mandate for continuous improvement and the goal to create systems that are as "hands off" as possible. In this role, you will:
- Work alongside core development teams to design cloud deployment architectures on Azure and AWS.
- Lead the provisioning of deployment environments, including all aspects of servers, services and networking.
- Ensure aspects of security, scalability, supportability and performance are implemented in solution architectures.
- Assist development teams to build continuous integration and deployment pipelines using toolsets selected for the particular technology stack.
- Carry out scheduled software releases in partnership with development teams where full automation has not yet been achieved.
- Configure monitoring and alerting tools and integrate into support desk software.
- Provide technical assistance to support ticket triaging and troubleshooting.
- Actively participate in the diagnosis and remedy of reactive support issues during business hours and on a shared on-call basis after hours.
- Complete incident reports, including recommendations for ongoing mitigation. Implement mitigations in partnership with core development teams.
- Design and implement proactive continuous improvement programmes for our solutions to minimise the occurrence of support issues.
- Documenting system architecture and configuration/deployment processes and proactively sharing technical knowledge with support developers across multiple teams.
Skills and Experience
Propellerhead delivers a portfolio of software solutions to our clients across a range of technologies. We use both AWS and Azure cloud platforms, and use a variety of pipeline tools. You will bring the following skills and experience:
- Strong and proven experience in Microsoft Azure deployment architectures and Microsoft VSTS deployment pipelines.
- System administration of Linux and Windows-based cloud-based server environments.
- Implementation and configuration of relational and document (NoSQL) databases.
- Proven scripting experience using PowerShell, Ruby, Groovy, python, shell or other common scripting languages.
- Provisioning and configuration of virtual networking.
- Familiarity with configuration of New Relic or similar monitoring framework, including building dashboards and alerting integration.
- Some experience with AWS and open source pipeline tools would be an advantage.
- Some working experience of developing distributed enterprise and web applications in Java and/or .NET.
- Ability to easily switch context across different technologies and complex environments.
- Ability to remain calm under the pressure of high-priority issue resolution scenarios.
- Cutting-edge projects for some of New Zealand's brightest organisations
- Welcoming, friendly, equal opportunity workplace
- Very capable fellow team members
- A culture of openness, communication, collaboration and flexibility
- Beautifully designed, tranquil offices right in the heart of Auckland
Critically Important: Cover Letter
We receive and read many job applications every week, and one component we value very highly is your cover letter. We cannot progress your application without one. This is your chance to tell us more about who you are, what you value, and why you care about your work. Instead of bland and cliche-filled, we value authentic and personal. This will go towards getting you to the next stage.
In-Person Interview in Paris
We are holding in-person interviews in Paris in October 2018, and if your application is successful, we will require you to travel to Paris during that time to meet with us.
Moving to New Zealand
We’ve collated information about Propellerhead and moving to New Zealand here.
Learn more about our company here.